Friday, July 16, 2010

disappointed...

When it came time for us to choose a clinic, we were fortunate in that there are several in this area.  The one we decided on was not only the one with the best success rates, but also the one that a friend had recommended.  I was optimistic after our consult (finally diagnosed with pcos), and was feeling great about our choice.

Now, I had typed out a whole thing about our cycle but the bottom line is, I am very disappointed in our treatment and have been looking into other Drs to consult with.  And, no it's not just because it didn't work.  It's because looking back, things should have been done differently and I just didn't realize it at the time.  Even after our WTF appointment, I wasn't feeling like the new plan would make any difference if we continued at this clinic.

So, knowing we would be on a break for awhile, I asked for a copy of my file.  This only further solidified that changing is the right thing to do.  One of the biggest things that jumped out at me is my diagnostic testing.  I don't want to be the patient that is trying to diagnose herself or question the Drs, but there are definitely some things that stood out to me.  So, when we make the switch I really realize how much I need to be my own advocate.

I''ve been doing a ton of research and while, like I said, there are more than a few clinics to choose from near home, the two that I am most seriously considering are out of state.  Fortunately they are still relatively close.  I had a mini phone consult of sorts with one of them last week and am looking forward to setting up a time to get down there and have a full conversation.

Making these calls has me feeling good.  Yeah, I'm bummed that we aren't cycling yet, but I'm excited to be moving in what feels like the right direction.  The state of limbo that our treatments has been in is starting to shift and that gets me smiling.  I guess I didn't realize how heavily the not knowing when/what/where/if was weighing on me until that phone call.  When I hung up, I finally felt like progress was being made.  I still may not know the when/what/where, but the if has finally moved from my mind...

3 comments:

Mrs. Hoppy said...

Best of luck with your switch, it's so important to feel comfortable with and to trust your RE.

Tabitha said...

Change is a very good thing!

jess said...

Hi- I am new to blogging. Just wanted to say hi and that I enjoy learning from you and others about infertility, as I am going through the same thing. Please feel free to follow me. -Jess: http://jesstryingtoconceive.blogspot.com/