Sunday, April 25, 2010

NIAW...

The debate over who to tell is one I battle over constantly.  While I feel that it is very important for people to understand infertility, I also don't want to force the issue upon anyone.  It saddens me that there is such a stigma attached to infertility.  It is not a life style choice, but some people have such preconceived notions about it that cracking that surface takes a sledge hammer.

While our families and friends do know where we have found ourselves, I am certain that it is not easy for them to really understand it all.  Little by little I have started to open up and find myself answering more and more questions in an effort to shed some light on the topic.  For those on the infertility road, are you "out" to those close to you?  

April 24th - May 1st is National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW).  It is a movement to create awareness about the disease of infertility which affects 7.3 million Americans (www.resolve.org).  Resolve is an amazing resource for anyone struggling with infertility, as well as those who have friends and/or loved ones making their way though the thick of it.  If you haven't heard of it, check it out.

Another great place to read up on some "Infertility Etiquette" is this blog.

And thanks to the prompting of the lovely Dandelion Bud over at Bloomin Babies, I worked up the courage to make this today's fb status: "Because 1 in 8 is someone you know. www.resolve.org/takecharge"

Thank you for all of the love and support that you have shown me over this past year.  I hope that I can pay forward all the kindness this community has shown me.

"Awareness is empowering..." Rita Wilson

8 comments:

Laura said...

Great post and thanks for the links! I will post them on my blog! I am "out" to friends and family and people that asked me in the past what I was waiting for to have a baby. I talk about it to people who ask me about my pregnancy because it's part of the process that got us to where we are now.. We also intend to tell Peanut the story of how he/she came into the world... the miracle of life is an amazing gift whether it comes naturally or with assistance. Ultimately the decision to be open or not about it is yours and I know many women who have been through countless IVF cycles and never told anyone even after they got pregnant. It's your choice and it depends on how speaking about it makes you feel.. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here just go with what feels right for you and your DH.

Rach said...

Glad you had the courage! Here from ICLW. We are dealing with MFI as well.

http://www.teseivf.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

I too posted something on fb this week but I have always been very open about my issues. I really don't care what people think about my infertility or treatments but I can completely understand others' fear or hesitance. It is a stigma and so many are so quick to judge about treatments like IVF.

Best of luck with your future treatments or however you procede to build your family! :)

~ICLW~

Miriam said...

I made a video for NIAW, as part of Project IF. You can check out my blog for more info and to see the video itself. I don't like to point a comment back to my blog, but I think it's important in regards to your post. Being this open, this out- it's quite possibly the most freeing things I've ever done. Yes, there comes a burden of having to educate your friends, but in the end, it's totally worth it. You help to cast and shape a wide support network. You build deeper friendships. You find out which of your friends are REALLY there for you, and who might not be after all these years. It is no easy thing, but I recommend it. Because you never know, of even your closest family and friends, who may be privately struggling with IF too.

~Miriam (ICLW #157) Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed

myinfertilitywoes said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm out to close friends & family & to my church family but otherwise, not. I wish there wasn't a stigma attached to it. Honestly, I'd be fine with it because I'm so used to it by now but worry it makes others uncomfortable.

I've been SO dying to comment something on fb. A few months ago a friend of mine wrote:
Put this as your status if you or somebody you know has suffered BABY LOSS or INFERTILITY. ♥♥♥ The majority won't put it on, because unlike cancer, baby loss/infertility is a taboo. ♥♥♥ Break the silence. ♥♥♥ In Memory of all the ~Angel~ babies gone too soon but never forgotten, and the babies who were not possible but are so loved.

I was too chicken to post that. Would you mind blogging about reactions you got from your fb post? Thanks for your courage!

Happy ICLW!

moobooty said...

Great post, thanks for the links -- there are so many things I'm still learning about IF so it's nice to see someone recommending sites :)

I am out to MY side of the family, not out to HIS side yet. Mainly b/c his sister is PG and I worry that they will stop talking to me about the progress they are making.

It's hard -- once we get PG -- we will tell them, probably. LOL

BlancaMcleroy1230 said...

Very good stories~~ Thanks for ur sharing~~!! ........................................

TamMcfee668 said...

很喜歡你的blog哦...加油唷 ........................................