Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Day...

While I have always lived in South Jersey, my entire family is from South Philly and the majority of my extended family still lives there.  South Philly is home to the Mummers, and for this, New Years Day is probably my favorite holiday.  You can read a little about their history here.

There really are no words to explain the mayhem... men in dresses and sequins, lots of make-up, umbrellas, and tons of music.  So to share the craziness with those of you who have never witnessed the madness, I hit 2-street today with my trusty new camera in hand.  I forgot my slave flash and the lighting on the street at night wasn't the best, so I didn't get many pics of the String Bands but I got plenty of the Comics who will give you a great idea of the feel of the day.

Its amazing how things change of the course of a few hours...






















Its pure chaos and you really can't understand nor appreciate it unless you are there, but trust me when I say, its a lot of fun.  Hope you enjoyed :)

I also took a ton of great pics of my nephews and littlest cousins today and hopefully I will have time to post some of the adorableness later...

2 comments:

AplusB said...

Wow, looks like quite the celebration! Great pictures!

Shanny said...

Oh wow it looks like such fun!