Monday, October 12, 2009

Faith...

Growing up, we attended church every week... I was active in the Jr. Choir and even the youth group. Somewhere along the line, I let my life get in the way and my time with God began to dwindle. Attendance at church a few times a week changed to once a week, to once a month, to just holidays, to nothing. My nightly prayers slowly stopped being said and then I found myself only praying when the going got tough...

And now as I search for answers to the whys and what ifs, I find myself looking to what I learned in Church those many years ago. The world seems to be fighting us at every turn. Some days I can't help but wonder... Are we being punished? I am questioning my faith when I can't find the upside of down.

Of course I know all the cliches... "God will not give me more than I can handle," "God has a special plan for us," and the list goes on and on... and I want to believe that there is a plan for us and that we will be able to handle that plan, but holding onto that belief has become tough.

Each one of us needs a lifeline... so, what is yours? What keeps you holding on? What makes you stand up and fight one more battle? Is it your faith, is it love, is it someone, or is it something entirely different?...

1 comment:

Hope Springs said...

I can only tell you how my faith helps me pick myself up and keep trying.

At the end of every single day, I pray, and I always start with "Thank you for a lovely day". Sometimes it really sticks in my throat to say that, and those are the times that I start searching for the smallest and most insignificant good things that happened in the rotten day - and even on the worst days of my life I've found something, even if it's just that I'm not going through my struggles alone.

So every day ends calmly with a focus on the good in my life, and that's what helps me to deal with all the cr@p that gets thrown at me and keep going until things start to get better.